Spring means being outside without stupid, bulky winter layers.
Spring means longer days — and Daylight Saving Time, but let’s not talk about that, except it means longer evenings, which are awesome. So maybe we kinda just talked about it.
Spring means summer… and street festivals… and dining on patios… and outdoor music… is closer.
Spring means it’s almost sandal weather (free my feet!).
Spring means vegetables other than potatoes and squash and cabbage. They’re are all delicious, but after a long winter…
You know, when you get your first asparagus… those are the moments that define the cook’s year. I get more excited by that than anything else.
— Mario Batali
I’m 93% certain there are other things Mario Batali gets excited about, but I can pretty much guarantee that fresh, seasonal vegetables really are at the top of his list.
How To Eat All The Asparagus
Sometimes simple (a light dressing of oil, garlic, and lemon zest) is best, but it’s definitely worth gussying up. Spruce it up like it’s date night and put it on a fancy plate, know what I mean?
- Crushed red pepper
- Dijon mustard
- Sesame oil
- Bread crumbs
- Puff Pastry
You can steam, saute, roast, broil, & grill it. Just don’t bother with boiling (blech!).
It’s important to have options and variety. Not that I get bored with simple, but check these out and let me know if you don’t feel like making something special.
- Asparagus Panzanella [101 Cookbooks] – Toasted bread and a dijon dressing. Sold.
- Roasted Asparagus with Bacon and Parmesan Cream [Noble Pig] – Parmesan Cream… Need I say anything more? Okay. Bacon. End story.
- Pea and Asparagus Risotto [Cookie + Kate]- Spring in a bowl, my friends.
- Asparagus and Caramelized Onion Tartlets [SkinnyTaste] – Oh, you think these are appetizers? You’re cute. Now hand me the tray and step back.
- Asparagus and Two-Cheese Quiche with Hash-Brown Crust [Epicurious] – Will you just look at that golden brown hash brown crust?
- Asparagus and Chicken Enchiladas [Recipe Girl] – I admit it never occurred to me to make asparagus enchiladas, but now I have to have them.
- Asparagus with Poached Eggs over Grits [happyolks] – Grits, ya’ll.
- Prosciutto-Wrapped Asparagus Puffs with Four Italian Cheeses and Sun-Dried Tomatoes [The Cozy Apron] – Sing with me — “These are a few of my favorite things!”
- Asparagus and Arugula Pasta Salad [Gimme Some Oven] – If you need me, I’ll just be over here on the couch with an entire bowl of this salad.
Now go forth and eat!