Bacon-Cheeseburger Skillet Pasta
No “helper”, not even a pot of boiling water, is needed for this tasty skillet pasta. Ground turkey, bacon, tomato, seasonings, and melty american cheese come together for a delicious weeknight meal.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 35 mins
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 6
- Category: Main
- Cuisine: American
- 1 pound ground beef or turkey
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 3 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 can (15 oz) Italian seasoning tomato sauce
- 1 can (15 oz) diced tomatoes
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 2 teaspoons worcestershire
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- dash cayenne
- 4 oz elbow macaroni
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 4 oz American cheese
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat until hot.
- In the skillet, cook meat, bacon, and onion together over medium-high heat until meat is just cooked through.
- Remove from pan and set aside.
- Return pan to heat and add tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, garlic, and seasonings; bring to simmer.
- Mix in pasta and green pepper and season with salt and pepper.
- Cover and simmer for about five minutes.
- Return meat mixture to pan and mix together.
- Simmer, covered, for additional five minutes until pasta is cooked through.
- Top with cheese slices and cover.
- Let sit for a few minutes, until the cheese melts, then serve.
Track it using MyFitnessPal (based on 93% ground turkey).
Elbow pasta is ideal because its small size and shape allow it to cook quickly. If you’d like to use another pasta shape, you will need to adjust the cooking time accordingly; Longer for larger pastas like penne and shorter for smaller pastas like orzo. It will also affect how “saucy” the final dish will be.
I like adding the green pepper with the pasta so it retains a bit of its texture, but if you prefer for it disappear more, then cook it up with the turkey, bacon, & onion.
- Calories: 306
- Sugar: 6 g
- Sodium: 676 mg
- Fat: 12 g
- Saturated Fat: 5 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 26 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 22 g
- Cholesterol: 66 mg